15 January 2014

Building a coat...


That's pretty much how it feels like. I am starting my first coat project and naturally I had to use something heavy like a 70's nylon felt about 2mm thick. I found some denim needles and have been using those...but even so broke one along the way. This will probably be the warmest coat ever and I look forward to wearing it, eventually when construction is complete.


I am using McCall pattern 4153. The first coat pattern I purchased for this was missing essential pieces and so I searched for another until I found this one. Sadly it didn't come with the pocket style I wanted and so I improvised with welt pockets. I also found some faux fur and decided to throw that on the upper collar to see how it worked (all of those layers...that's where I broke a needle). I have no experience sewing with bulky materials and while they are forgiving at times, I feel as though I am wrestling with a clothen beast. Mainly, as I add on pieces and the coat increases in size, it becomes more difficult to work with. I've been good about cutting away bulky seam allowances and pressing open darts...but still.

So far, I have the outside portion except the sleeves assembled. The lining comes next and then sleeves, buttons and hemming. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but my complaints will probably be posted along with the finished product. 







My accomplice has kindly helped by covering everything in Shiba hair...as you can see from several of the pictures.







I'm really happy with that faux fur. As a vegan, I don't agree with wearing animal skins so I'm very pleased with the look of modern faux products. Many are indistinguishable from their living counterparts which makes it very easy for me to go with an authentic look. 

The welt pockets I am sort of ok with, the lining was caught in one of the seams and I will need to pick that out and resew it. I am also hand embroidering triangles on the welt pocket openings, as you can see from the picture. I'll have to resume that arduous task later. Perhaps while zoning out to Star Trek. 

I should be posting the final product in a couple weeks, wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. It looks like it is going to be fabulous when you are completed. A classic. My daughter has been eyeing coats like this on Etsy and you have tempted me to just make one. The coats are around $100 so I am not sure there is a huge cost savings but it will fit well and be yours.
    I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to wear it once it if finished. I estimate materials cost me close to $50.00. But, with how much time I put into it you are right in that it will probably cost the same as a purchased one. To be cheesy though, nothing compares to being able to say you made yourself a vintage-style coat. I say, go for it!

      Delete
  2. This coat is looking fantastic already! I love the warm, elegant fur that you've opted to incorporate, that lends it such a great vintage vibe. Best of luck with the rest of this project.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very excited for how it will turn out, especially since it's been going slowly due to the materials. I'm sure it will pay off!

      Delete
  3. wow! it already looks so wonderful.
    I've been having fun looking around your blog and you have gained a new follower. I really like your style and I love to sew too. Keep up the great work :)
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliments! I am glad that you have enjoyed my blog, it's always wonderful to find more people with similar interests!

      Delete
    2. Hello again! I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award and so there are some questions for you over at my page. Congratulations and good job on your blog!

      Delete