I am using McCall pattern 4153. The first coat pattern I purchased for this was missing essential pieces and so I searched for another until I found this one. Sadly it didn't come with the pocket style I wanted and so I improvised with welt pockets. I also found some faux fur and decided to throw that on the upper collar to see how it worked (all of those layers...that's where I broke a needle). I have no experience sewing with bulky materials and while they are forgiving at times, I feel as though I am wrestling with a clothen beast. Mainly, as I add on pieces and the coat increases in size, it becomes more difficult to work with. I've been good about cutting away bulky seam allowances and pressing open darts...but still.
So far, I have the outside portion except the sleeves assembled. The lining comes next and then sleeves, buttons and hemming. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but my complaints will probably be posted along with the finished product.
My accomplice has kindly helped by covering everything in Shiba hair...as you can see from several of the pictures.
I'm really happy with that faux fur. As a vegan, I don't agree with wearing animal skins so I'm very pleased with the look of modern faux products. Many are indistinguishable from their living counterparts which makes it very easy for me to go with an authentic look.
The welt pockets I am sort of ok with, the lining was caught in one of the seams and I will need to pick that out and resew it. I am also hand embroidering triangles on the welt pocket openings, as you can see from the picture. I'll have to resume that arduous task later. Perhaps while zoning out to Star Trek.
I should be posting the final product in a couple weeks, wish me luck!