05 December 2013

1930's suit and first jersey knit

I've been a bit absent again, sorry about that. Last month was intense, to say in the least. I kept running back between studying for the GRE and completing applications for grad school. Now, that's almost behind me and I can concentrate on the fun things. Sewing and preparing my army of Czech vegan Christmas cookies.

So far, my suit is going well. I am using this pattern, simplicity 3144: 


It's a dress, but I am using the skirt and making a waistband for it. I'm using a charcoal vintage linen that has been a dream to work with...as linen often is. The blazer is finished and I even lined it. Here was the progress:






A close-up of the shoulder darts, because...well, shoulder darts! Who doesn't love them. I had to use shoulder pads for this suit top, which I often avoid in a desperate attempt at not looking like a linebacker. However, they pretty much complete the look here, probably due to the arrangement of the darts. The finished product:





Hand-sewn lining wasn't as bad as I had assumed and everything went together in about five hours. Not bad! I'll post pictures of myself in this when I finish my next project, Simplicity 3660. 


I am currently working on this, without the redingote. It's my first time using a knit for fabric. However, I found a lovely organic bamboo rayon jersey knit in chocolate and I just couldn't refuse! Here's hoping I don't lose too much patience over this! 

7 comments:

  1. The blazer looks really beautiful! I love the tiny darts in the sleeve cap.
    And the pattern is really interesting. Love the effect of the two darts nearly touching each other. At a first glance I took it for an ordinary princess seam, but this is really special.
    Curious to see it paired with the skirt. Will you line it as well with the burgundy fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I also really like the lines, the fit is very flattering. I don't usually line skirts I make, since I have many half-slips, but we'll see. Would definitely make this warmer!

      Delete
  2. The jacket is really fantastic. I love the lines and style of the 1930s. Great pattern choice,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really fun to make too!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, that is such a lovely pattern - all of the suits depicted on it are just beautiful and so very wearable, too (as in, they'd see you through a plethora of situations). I adore the classic charcoal grey suit that you made - awesome job, dear gal. I'd wear it in a heartbeat!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments! That's what I love about this suit, it's so easy to wear with just about anything. I was looking for something that didn't have a collar on it already, as I wear a lot of scarves and blouses with collars. This pattern was perfect!

      Delete
  4. the lines of this is exquisite! I love 30s through 60s with a heavy emphasis on the 30s and 40s so this is right up my ally. great photography, too

    ReplyDelete