21 July 2013

A little late for Spring...

I originally planned this dress for the spring time, around Easter to be exact. But once my school schedule picked up again I ran out of time to work on it. Instead, I finished it a couple of weeks ago. It's a super light cotton, raised swiss-dot fabric from the 50's....and I've used it for a 40's dress. It was wonderful to work with, as 100% cotton often is! I figure, hey, it's been uncomfortably hot in Seattle lately (contrary to most Pacific North-westerners...I love the rain and cloud cover here. I'm not much for sunshine) might as well have a light cotton dress to cool down with.


1940's patterns are my absolute favourite. Even though many I work with are unprinted, it only really took me a couple of tries to get used to it. Granted, I'm a little obsessed with sewing and very stubborn when it comes to challenges, but I think anyone can succeed in this. I've come across several posts where others mention their hesitancy at approaching unmarked patterns, but rest assured, it's not all bad once you get started! And this is coming from someone who started her sewing hobby off with mostly unmarked patterns! So, buckle down and don't be discouraged if you have fallen in love with one of these lovely patterns and are unsure with your skills. It's not so bad once you try it!

Vogue 8740
 Something I love about this era though, is the incredible detail. I have a thing for shoulder darts, and try to fit them in to most patterns from the 40's I make. I often Frankenstein patterns together if I like a particular aspect from one...and shoulder darts have to be one of those aspects! A very simple detail, but very period accurate, especially in suits! Anyway, this pattern was very simple to make, but also easy to wear. I'll have to make a long sleeved version for the fall (version A), maybe a chocolate brown fabric with black velvet trim!
Shoulder darts!

Hanging over night prior to hemming.



Too distracted with excitement to have proper posture...apparently
My birthday is coming up next month on the 22nd of August...hopefully I'll have the time to work on a dress for then! However, I currently have finals scheduled for the 21st, 22nd, and the 23rd....good times. But they will be the last finals for my undergrad academic career! That alone is grounds for a celebratory dress!

11 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful dresses I have ever seen. The style is so flattering, I am hoping I could pull off something like this xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I think this sort of cut in dress is universally flattering! Thank you for your compliments.

      Delete
  2. Oh honey, this is such a timelessly sweet, endearingly beautiful dress. I adore the cut, fabric, fit - all of it! Marvelous work!!!

    Happiest (early) birthday wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! I'm very happy with it as well! This pattern is quite versatile.

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous! I love the colour - and the little dots are really cute.
    AHKA VINTAGE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this dress! Thank you for sharing it, I found you on Sew Retro. Stunning, fits you perfectly and suits you beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I will for sure post another version of this dress in the fall, though with long sleeves. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing - what a gorgeous dress and such pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered your blog! Gosh, the colour on this dress is lovely and you look great!

    ReplyDelete